My favorite treat growing up on the ranch was my mom’s homemade ice cream. We didn’t get it very often which made it even more special! It seemed like it took days for that old ice cream maker to work its magic. My sister, dad, and I would watch my mom fish out the paddle attachment knowing that she would soon be handing it over to us to get the first lick…..heaven!
My mom very willingly shared her recipe but mine just never quite tasted the same. I am convinced it was because she made her ice cream with absolute love. Love is a secret ingredient, you know!
I just recently mastered her recipe. Now my children beg for homemade ice cream as much as I did as a kid. Of course, I use all organic ingredients now. I have even dabbled into a couple different flavors and have found a family favorite! I felt guilty about keeping it all to myself, so here it is. Enjoy!
MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM
– 6 large organic eggs
– 3 cups organic sugar
– 15 drops Peppermint Vitality EO (if you do not use Young Living EOs then DO NOT ingest EOs. Use an extract instead)
– 1 Tbsp vanilla
– dash of salt
– 2 quarts organic half and half
– 3 pints organic heavy whipping cream
-1 10 ounce bag organic mini chocolate chips
You will also need:
– Homemade Ice Cream Maker (I highly recommend this one)
- Beat eggs in mixer until fluffy. Add sugar, flavoring, and salt.
- Turn mixer on low and add cream one pint at a time. This will fill the entire mixer bowl. Pour mix into ice cream container and add remaining half and half.
- Attach container to ice cream maker and turn on.
- Add layers of salt and ice until ice reaches the lid of container.
- Half way through the process, when you see the ice cream starting to thicken, shut off machine and carefully pull lid off (DO NOT LET ANY ICE WATER GET INTO ICE CREAM). Pour bag of chocolate chips in and start machine back up until finished.
- You will know it’s finished when the motor is slowing down.
- When finished the ice cream will be soft. Store in freezable containers in the fridge.
This recipe makes 6 quarts so you will need to adjust your recipe if your ice cream maker is smaller.
*RAW EGG WARNING… This recipe contains raw eggs. Make sure you are using the freshest eggs possible.
*This post may contain affiliate links for products I love. This means I earn a commission if you make a purchase through one of these links.